[CentOS] Centos|Windows Cross Platform File Managers

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Jul 4 14:20:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

> From: Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Centos|Windows Cross Platform File Managers
>
> On 7/2/11, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> wrote:
>> I'm not a lover of M$ stuff, but the application I need to
>> run is Windows only, and doing a fresh install of Vista as I
>> also have the Tech Guys recovery disk seems like the easiest
>> option for me.
>
> I'm probably a bit biased since lately I've been messing around with
> virtual machines too much. If you installed Vista only for that single
> app, would it had been easier if you installed Vista as a virtual
> guest on your system, using a raw partition which you can then access
> from the host CentOS using the filemanager you're already familar
> with? Or did the app require too much graphical processing power to be
> viable in a guest OS?

I did want to try doing that, but AFAIK my processor does
not support the required VM instructions.

/proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Duron(tm)
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 1200.003
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic
                 : mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
                 : sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
                 : nonstop_tsc ts
bogomips        : 2400.00

Is that correct?

The other thing is, I read that to install a Windows OS in a
VM you will need the proper full OS installation disk, and I
only have the original 'Tech Guys' Advent laptop recovery
disk, so I have just done a fresh install onto the laptop.
Apparently the Windows recovery disk checks for some sort of
ID string somewhere in the lappy's BIOS, and it does not
even prompt for the M$ licence key serial number.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net