[CentOS] CentOS on the HP MicroServer

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jul 6 03:48:11 UTC 2011

On 07/05/11 8:04 PM, Devin Reade wrote:
> Does the basic microserver ship with four of those drive carriers,
> or do they have to be purchased separately?
>
> Also, would anyone who has a CentOS-based microserver with a
> remote access card care to share any observations about that
> card, such as integration aspects and accessing it in a
> completely windows-free environment?

indeed, it ships with the 4 drive trays.  Note they are not advertised
as hot swap, I believe this is probably because there is no SES
(enclosure services) and Windows in particular is not happy about
hotswapping disks without one.   afaik, if you go to the trouble of
using the mdadm commands on linux to take the drive offline before
removing it, you should be able to 'warm swap' as there's nothing in the
hardware preventing it, and the SATA connector is inherently
electrically safe for hotswap.

I haven't actually used one but the Remote Access Card provides a web
based KVM, and if its anything like iLO Advanced (various websites seem
to think its equivalent), it likely uses a Java-in-your-browser based
VNC implementation for the remote VGA, so this should be pretty easy to
get going with Firefox+Java on a 'nix platform.   Several sites say it
uses Avocent MergePoint EMS