[CentOS] CentOS on the HP MicroServer

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Wed Jul 6 08:27:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 5:48 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> indeed, it ships with the 4 drive trays.  Note they are not advertised
> as hot swap, I believe this is probably because there is no SES
> (enclosure services) and Windows in particular is not happy about
> hotswapping disks without one.   afaik, if you go to the trouble of
> using the mdadm commands on linux to take the drive offline before
> removing it, you should be able to 'warm swap' as there's nothing in the
> hardware preventing it, and the SATA connector is inherently
> electrically safe for hotswap.
>
> --
> john r pierce                            N 37, W 122
> santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast

I thought this was particularly dependent on the BIOS to support AHCI,
and not necessarily so much on SES alone?

Many desktop grade motherboard can hot swap a SATA HDD and they don't
have SES, only AHCI in the BIOS. Or is HP just trying to stay on the
safe side with not advertising hot swap, incase someone with Windows
has issues with it?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers