[CentOS] What are the advantages of upgrading from 5.6 to 6?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Jul 6 20:44:47 UTC 2011

> I've just installed CentOS 5.6. What would I get if I upgraded to 6?
> Would I have to reinstall all applications or could I just restore my
> /etc and /usr directories and do an update?

Well, CentOS 6 is likely to be somewhat different than 5.6 -- lots of
stuff has changed.  You would get newer base versions of various
packages and a newer base kernel.  Otherwise it depends...

You'd have to do a fresh install, and then using a backup of your /etc
as a guide, re-configure everything. If your system works just fine
with 5.6, *I'd* say leave it alone for now. I am certainly not in any
hurry to upgrade.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com