[CentOS] HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Thu Jul 7 15:44:39 UTC 2011

John Doe wrote:
> From: Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>
>
>> Thanks for the explanation. Please help me understand why do Hardware
>> Vendors provide onboard storage raid controller chipset on the
>> motherboard (fakeraid if its a software raid.).  Is it a marketing
>> term for selling servers. Since it does not add value at all strictly
>> speaking due to the fact that the OS is unable to determine the
>> Logical drives.
>> Awaiting your earnest reply.
>
> My earnest reply would be that, like winmodems, winprinters and other hybrids, fakeraid is cheaper to manufacture since part of the device logic is done by the driver (at the expense of the server)...
> So yes, it would be marketing to say we do RAID, while saving on the manufacturing cost of a real raid controller...
> But dunno who to blame between the server or the motherboard manufacturers... or both.
> Another marketing ploy I hated was the old drives claiming a xxGB* capacity............  (*based on a 1:2 compression ratio).

Chipset makers are ones to blame for creating them in the first place,
since they incorporated cheap RAID support in (almost) every HDD
controller chipset. I guess the first one to do it is one to blame, the
rest figured it is easier to implement it then explain it is not a
healthy choice for data safe keeping.

Ljubomir