[CentOS] CentOS 6 supported hardware

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Fri Jul 8 16:48:22 UTC 2011

Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:53 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Lamar Owen wrote:
>>> The Apple Airport in an Intel Mac is Broadcom; many Intel Dell's have the option of Broadcom, which is typically less expensive than the 3945 or similar Intel wireless chipset.  My Dell Inspiron 640m came with a Broadcom card; my Precision M65 had an Intel 3945 but has a Broadcom now (for other various reasons that are beyond the scope of the CentOS list).
>>>
>>> The one AMD laptop I had that had PCIe wifi had an Atheros chipset..... but YMMV.
>> Intel, Broadcom, Ralink and Realtek chips are mostly used only for
>> Laptops. Any decent (professional) Wireless router will have Atheros
>> based radio. And the are excellent Atheros open source drivers.
>
> Professional Wireless Router? That knocked me off my seat :-D. 'Wireless
> router' has become associated in my mind with that device you put in
> homes. So what professional wireless routers are out there? I have
> Aerohive 340 access points over here (uses Atheros btw) but I cannot
> seem to remember whether it supported routing but it does support tying
> profiles to vlans and a host of other stuff.

There are Wireless Access points (without routing capability) and only
one wireless radio, semi-routers with only one wireless radio but with
rudimentary routing and firewall/NAT support (most Ubiquity products)
and there are full fledged routers with one or multiple LAN and wireless
radios cards.

In the last group, most used is Mikrotik hardware with their RouterOS
software that supports most of the routing protocols and extensive
firewall/NAT/mangle capabilities. My favorite is StarOS software that
runs on larger number of hardware platforms including regular PC's (as
does RouterOS). There are other software/OS's but those 2 are, in my
opinion, the best ones.
Both of them support *only* Atheros chipsets.

And when I say routing, I mean RIP, OSPF, OLSR, BGP...

>>   From manufacturers, Winstron and Compex are most respected. This is
>> from 7 years of professional experience.
>
> Let's see if we win the obscure wireless product awards ;)

I was refering to manufacturers of Atheros based radio cards, not
routers. Sorry is I have not stated that clearly.

Ljubomir