[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Always Learning centos at u6.u22.net
Sat Jul 9 18:32:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 20:25 +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Always Learning wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 20:13 +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> >> But you should also be prepared to help them with install and primary
> >> setup, like adding third party repositories for audio/video codecs
> >> and similar.
> >
> > One of the most useful things I discovered was:-
> >
> > yum install gstreamer*
> >
> > which installs seemingly everything required to run the most popular
> > audio and video applications in Gnome.
> >

> Most but not all. Windows users have only mp3 music, especially if they
> have illegal copies like >90% of people in South East Europe. For those
> you need non-free codecs.

If MP3 music 'works' (meaning it successfully plays on Centos/Gnome) why
would additional codecs be required ?

I'm not very knowledgeable about codecs, which I assume are the audio
equivalent of printer drivers. I understand "yum install gstreamer*"
adds the legal and the 'bad' codecs which makes unplayable music
playable in Centos/Gnome.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

1 June 2010 Exclusively Centos & Gnome. Liberated from M$ Windoze.