[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sat Jul 9 18:38:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Always Learning wrote:

> From: Always Learning <centos at u6.u22.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide
>

> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 20:25 +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Always Learning wrote:
>>>
>>> One of the most useful things I discovered was:-
>>>
>>> yum install gstreamer*
>>>
>>> which installs seemingly everything required to run the most popular
>>> audio and video applications in Gnome.
>>>

>> Most but not all. Windows users have only mp3 music, especially if they
>> have illegal copies like >90% of people in South East Europe. For those
>> you need non-free codecs.
>
> If MP3 music 'works' (meaning it successfully plays on Centos/Gnome) why
> would additional codecs be required ?
>
> I'm not very knowledgeable about codecs, which I assume are the audio
> equivalent of printer drivers. I understand "yum install gstreamer*"
> adds the legal and the 'bad' codecs which makes unplayable music
> playable in Centos/Gnome.

I get all my extra codes from here:

rpm -ivh http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/mplayer-codecs-20061022-1.i386.rpm

rpm -ivh http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/mplayer-codecs-extra-20061022-1.i386.rpm

I can play most audio and video formats on Centos 5.6
including MP3's and M$ format videos :)

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites: