[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Sat Jul 9 19:31:14 UTC 2011

Always Learning wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 20:18 +0200, Giles Coochey wrote:
>
>> I do like Linux over other operating systems, but I wouldn't wish it
>> on any of my non-techie friends...
>>
>> CentOS is what I primarily work on for Server Labs, not usually
>> desktop environments anyway.
>
> One of my friends, a lady, not technical in any respect, uses Centos in
> preference to Windoze for her essential requirements like Facebook and
> web browsing. She thinks Centos is much faster than Windoze Vista on the
> same machine.
>
> Centos is usable on home PCs.

I plan on creating CentOS 6.0 Desktop off-spin, changing only release
package to add priorities and enable Plus and Extras repositories, and
then add few selected third party repositories and/or hosting some extra
packages not available via yum (VirtualBox, Shorewall, newer versions of
OpenOffice,...). I might even see if CentOS and third party repos could
create release packages with added Priority value, third party with
chosen number higher then 1.

I already have something similar but it uses script to backup and delete
current files in /etc/yum.repos.d and install modified .repo files with
set priority value for chosen application.

Ljubomir