[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Always Learning centos at u6.u22.net
Sat Jul 9 20:31:28 UTC 2011

Hi Ljubomir,

> > If MP3 music 'works' (meaning it successfully plays on Centos/Gnome) why
> > would additional codecs be required ?

> Does it? It was not my experience on either CentOS or Fedora. MP3 codecs
> are proprietary, and are not distributed by Red Hat distro's (RHEL and
> Fedora)

I have been using C 5 for 13 months. Thus I am certainly not an expert
on it or on Linux generally.

I have never ever had any problem whatsoever playing MP3 files on Centos
5.x

I use Audacity as my preferred audio programme, generally importing .wav
files and exporting them as .mp3 files. The mp3 files simply play and I
have never had a problem. Perhaps I obtained the correct codecs without
being aware they were fundamental to playing MP3 on Centos/Gnome.

> As far as I know there is no codec in base repo that can play MP3 files.
>   Not with Gstreamer nor with Xine.

My repos are:-

CentOS-Base.repo
CentOS-Debuginfo.repo
CentOS-Media.repo
CentOS-Vault.repo
elrepo.repo
epel.repo
epel-testing.repo
kbsingh-CentOS-Misc.repo
rpmforge.repo

which specific codec do you need to play mp3 files in Centos ?

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,
EU.

1 June 2010 Exclusively Centos & Gnome. Liberated from M$ Windoze.