[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jul 9 21:05:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 22:22 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Always Learning <centos at u6.u22.net>
> wrote:
>
>         May I suggest that all us very grateful users of Centos make 6
>         copies of
>         Centos  6.0 (either i386 or/and X64) and hand then out to
>         friends,
>         colleagues or strangers (unknown members of the public) who
>         might be
>         interested in trying Centos ?
>

> This is a great and noble idea but you're going to cause unwanted
> problems for some people. And often times those people would rather
> pay the 100pounds extra for Windows than have to try and actually
> become computer fundies.
>
> My mother, father, in-laws, some friends and many of our client could
> benefit from the cost saving that Linux has to offer. But they won't
> change over, no matter you convinsing your story about computer
> liberty is, cause Linux simmply cannot replave Windows. Not for them
> at least. Linux doesn't work for everyone.
>
> CentOS is great as a server OS, but it won't replace our accountant's
> Windows 7 desktop - the amount of technical compatibilies issues we're
> going to sit with is just not worth it.
>
> Don't use a jack hammer to drive in a nail :)
----
most people primarily use a computer for web and e-mail and thus an iPad
is probably all that they need except when they want to print something
(ignoring for the moment that Apple pretty much makes you use a computer
to interface/put things on/take things off an iPad).

What seems to be significant is people's perception of what a computer
should be, do and how to use and thus Windows struggles to retain as
much UI from the earlier versions with each new release in order to
prevent mass defection.

The reality is that applications are becoming more and more web based
SAAS and as the costs of specific applications needed on specific
platforms (ie, Quickbooks) rise, web based SAAS will replace them. The
point is that for end users, the OS is eventually going to become
irrelevant.

Craig

believed to be clean.