[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sat Jul 9 21:41:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> From: Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide
>
> Keith Roberts wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>
>> ***snip***
>>
>>> Short version (I am hungry):
>>>
>>> Experience (19 years of Windows phone support and 5 years of Linux
>>> administration and usage as a desktop surrounded by Windows users) says
>>> that in order to convert (reluctant) Windows user you have to fully
>>> replicate Windows environment with compatible Linux Apps. Period.
>>
>> Maybe they'd take a shine to KDE4 or Gnome 3 desktops?
>>
>> But that would mean using something like Fedora 15 with a
>> maximum update lifetime of ~12 months, or another linux
>> distro with a longer lifetime like Ubuntu ?
>>
> I see now that I was misunderstood. I was talking about Apps abilities.
> "My Windows app would do that automatically"
> "Why cant I lay MP3's at once? You did install Winamp-like app? In
> windows Winamp just plays my MP3's", and so on.
>
> The look and feel are not so much the problem as behavior
> of Apps and the likeness of the App's them selves.
> Intuitive like-Windows app behavior.

Yes I understand that Ljubomir. But you can also set the
look of most desktops as well, so the Linux desktop windows
have a 'Windozey look and feel'. But this still does not
take into the way Linux apps work, as opposed to the same or
similar Windoze apps. But I guess that's to be expected
anyway.

The learning curve for most GUI apps is generally straight
forward. Just common sense really. Almost any apps you would
look for help under F1, and the File tab is going to be near
that.

There are some apps under Linux that are difficult to
master, like the GIMP. Another one that comes to mind is
Blender IIRC.

But most other apps are just common sense to use in most
cases IMHO.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: