[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Sat Jul 9 22:00:03 UTC 2011

John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 11:27:52PM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Well, larger and lager fear of malware, trojans and regular viruses is
>> excellent motivator. Especially when you add need to pay for good AV/IS
>> solution. My country men are poor and paying even 20 EUR per year for
>> good AV/IS software is something they hate and most never do. And when
>> you add the slowdown good AV/IS brings... jackpot.
>
> Meh.  Avast, and others, have free licenses for non-commercial usage.
> If you're talking about commercial usage that's another story.

Neah. I am talking on how those free AV's are not worth the time spent
in installing them. Only heavy-hitters like KIS (KAV not so much)
Symantec NIS and one or two others are capable to stop really nasty bug
taking over. Even heavy-hitters any at risk if they have idiot
controlling them.

I am cleaning after those free security software for ~10 years now. Last
5 years I only use Avira Free for stubborn customers with newly
installed Windows or KIS in *any* other case (cleaning, securing). They
(those free ones) are like having closed but unlocked doors in dangerous
neighborhood. Bad guys think it's locked. But when they figure doors are
unlocked....bye-bye.

Ljubomir