[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Sun Jul 10 07:46:38 UTC 2011

John R. Dennison wrote:
> Symantec is garbage and has been for many years.  Don't care for
> Kaspersky from past use, but that was indeed KAV as I've not used
> anything else from them.  Perhaps I should evaluate their KIS offering.
>
> I've had absolutely no trouble whatsoever with Avast other than on my
> own personal desktop and that was strictly caused by my usage patterns
> and would not affect "normal" users in any way; I recommend and install
> avast on not only on family and friends boxes but on clients as well.

I added Symantec mostly from past experience, haven't used it in years.

Having Free versions (in general) that can really make PC's secure would
defeat the purpose of having paid version, so they always lack
something, mostly real-time application prevention. Once certain
stronger trojans/malwares are incorporated they even stop KIS from
installing in the first place. Not many of them, but I had that
experience, and had to reinstall/format c: partition.

I chose Kaspersky because of two things. Lesser in intensity is that he
is from Russia, with different mindset very close to ours, but turning
point when I started to think about actually paying for the product (at
the dawn of my "legality" awakening) was when Eugen K. came to Belgrade
to receive some award for his product. TV reporter asked him after the
ceremony if he is going to go sightseeing the town, and he's response
was "No. I have flight back in one hour, I must get back to my work."

Also worth mentioning is that there is Kaspersky for Linux Workstations
and Servers, and even for the Mac:
http://www.kaspersky.com/applications_list

Ljubomir