[CentOS] Switch from SL -> Centos

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 13:17:44 UTC 2011

> Downloaded centos-release-6-0.el6.centos.5.x86_64.rpm and
> redhat-logos-60.0.14-10.el6.noarch.rpm from CentOS repo
>
> rpm -e --nodeps sl-release redhat-logos
> rpm -hiv redhat-logos-60.0.14-10.el6.noarch.rpm
> centos-release-6-0.el6.centos.5.x86_64.rpm
>
> yum update
>
> reboot, and voilà

The above would only update a package if the centos repos had a higher
version number than the installed SL one.... I would strongly suggest
something akin to yum reinstall \* and leave it to chug away (backups
first naturally) for a while to refresh all the packages and teh rpm
database to be in sync with the centos build..... requires matching,
same build options for sure etc etc....

In the event something crops up it at least eliminates an odd untested
mix for certain fundamental packages like glibc etc....

James