[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jul 11 15:40:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:33:10PM +0800, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 7/11/11, Keith Beeby <k.beeby at albion.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > So first daft question with Centos 6 (someone had to be first!) I've setup
> > Centos 6 as a Server but as with Centos 5 it used to boot into the GUI but
> > v6 doesn't do this, startx etc doesn't seem to work to launch the GUI
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the "Server" option does not include the GUI so
> you'll have to install the GUI group manually as others have
> suggested.

If I'm not mistaken, (not making fun of Emmanuel, just the same caveat),
neither server nor web server have a GUI by default.  IMLTHO (less than
humble) this is something they should have done a long time ago, (though
I would like to see either flux or openbox available as alternative--on
the other hand, that's purely personal preference, and can be safely
ignored--just, if I do, for whatever reason, want a GUI on a server, I'd
much prefer a *box (or other--twm is available actually, but I don't
like it), I'd like something light.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Riley: Buffy . . . I feel like we've gotten really close. At
least I thought we had. I don't know much about Angel or your
relationship with him . . but . . . all I ask is . . if you're
gonna break heart, do it fast.
Buffy: What? You think that Angel and I...
Riley: Didn't you?
Buffy: No. Of course not. How can you even ask me that?
Riley: I don't know. Xander said...
Buffy: Xander?! Oh, he's the deadest man in Deadonia.