[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Andy Holt centos-list at orgdotuk.org.uk
Mon Jul 11 15:46:01 UTC 2011

What caught me out (_doesn't_ sounds like it did you though), was that the CentOS 6 x86_64 installer chose to do a text-based
install, through lack of support for the graphics card, I guess (this is inside VMware Server 1.0!).  The text-based install does
not give you a choice of the kind of stuff to install, you just seem to get 'minimal'.

I had much better luck after reading through the install guide (here:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/index.html ).  Booted off the iso, hit <ESC>
and then at the boot prompt: linux vnc.  I could then use a VNC client to do the nice graphical install.

hth someone   Andy