[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jul 11 16:44:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:55:12AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Andy Holt wrote:
> >> From: Keith Beeby
> >>
> > What caught me out (_doesn't_ sounds like it did you though), was that the
> > CentOS 6 x86_64 installer chose to do a text-based
> > install, through lack of support for the graphics card, I guess (this is
> > inside VMware Server 1.0!).  The text-based install does
> > not give you a choice of the kind of stuff to install, you just seem to
> > get 'minimal'.
> <snip>
> Huh? I always use the text-based install, and check the select packages
> (or whatever it is) box, and the next screen's where I go down its list,
> and go into each, and (un)select what I want on the machine.

Have you done this with CentOS/RH/OLE 6?  They've crippled it.  In a
marketing move that, again in my arrogant opinion, ranks up there with
Windows Genuine Advantage, they'll tell you that they've streamlined and
simplified it.

I think the rationale was that they decided to put their efforts into a
GUI install and it was too much work to continue the functionality of
the text mode.  You'd have to dig through the Fedora testing list, I
think.

However, kickstart functionality remains, so you can always use a
kickstart file, and that will enable you to do partitioning, and package
selection.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: The world is what it is---we fight, we die. Wishing
doesn't change that.
Giles: I have to believe in a better world.
Buffy: Go ahead. I have to live in this one.