[CentOS] Installing from CD

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Jul 11 23:59:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, david wrote:

> From: david <david at daku.org>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing from CD
>
> Dear Gurus
> Thanks for the responses.  I'll summarize what I've learned trying to
> install Centos6 on a Dell Optiplex GX 240
>
> Review:
>  a) I decried the lack of CD images for Centos6.
>  b) I was informed that it's unlikely they'll be produced due to an
> upstream decision.
>  c) I pointed out that the machine only had floppy, CD and HD boots
> capability.
>  d) I got a suggestion to use the network method.
>
> Results:
>  1)  PXE boot might work, but it seems that it's a lot of trouble
> setting up a PXE server.  I'm still working on it.
>  2)  The NET-INSTALL indeed did work, with the following gotchas:
>    2a) The URL to enter is not obvious.
>    2b) I tried the one at Stanford, and at uidaho, but they failed.
>    2c) Finally,
>     http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.0/os/i386    worked.
>  3) SInce I had only a text install, various interesting and
> important programs were missing:
>    ssh (which apparently is masquerading under the name
> "openssh-clients"), ftp and perl, which YUM got for me.
>
>  4)  The module   perl-Digest-MD5  was not in the repository.  Was
> its removal intentional, or is it hiding in some other Centos6 repository?
>
>  5)  The line-by-line notation during bootstrap is no longer
> shown.  This makes it difficult to detect where hangups occur during
> the bootstrap process.  Is there a way to display those notations in real time?
>
> Conclusion:
>   I'm still trying

Hi David. I seem to remember doing an http:// install using
the net installer CD. I did it via my LAN from my main
machine to an old laptop that could not read the DVD media.

Is that an option on the Centos net installer CD, and will
that work for you?

I think you just need to copy the OS installation files in a
directory under your Apache Document_root, and the installer
just grabs the files via http.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/s1-steps-network-installs-x86.html#id886240
4.6. Preparing for a Network Installation

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net