[CentOS] 6.0 text-mode installer broken?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue Jul 12 08:09:11 UTC 2011

Florin Andrei wrote:
> (I'm doing tests in a VirtualBox instance, so take this with a grain of
> salt.)
>
> If you give the VM only 512 MB of RAM, the text-mode installer kicks in.
> It does not prompt you to configure anything related to the network or
> hostname. The system boots up without a network interface configured.
> Also, it won't let you choose the install mode, I guess it defaults to
> Minimal (which is fine by me, but still it's a bug).
>
> If you give the VM 768 MB of RAM, the GUI installer is launched, and
> this one allows you to configure the hostname, the networking details,
> and choose the install mode. The system boots up with networking and all
> the niceties enabled.

Someone posted that you can use VNC to install CentOS 6.

Excerpts:

"Anaconda therefore includes a Virtual Network Computing (VNC) mode that
allows the graphical mode of the installer to run locally, but display
on a system connected to the network. Installing in VNC mode provides
you with the full range of installation options, even in situations
where the system lacks a display or input devices."

Visit installation guide for more info:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/vncwhitepaperadded.html

Ljubomir