[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jul 12 11:32:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> You're joking....
>>
>> I think the rationale was that they decided to put their efforts into a
>> GUI install and it was too much work to continue the functionality of
>> the text mode.  You'd have to dig through the Fedora testing list, I
>> think.
>
> And GUI is less work? And they couldn't leave the same code in place?

The EL5 text mode couldn't do everything you could do in GUI mode (I was sure
there were some LVM bits missing).  Given VNC works perfectly, as does
kickstart, I'm not sure there's a place for a text mode that behaves
differently to the graphical installer, and I wouldn't want them wasting any
time maintaining it.

Tested with VirtualBox 4.0.10, with 1Gbytes of RAM assigned, it installed
perfectly in graphical mode, and I was free to reduce the memory after the
install.  Tested with less memory it did a perfect minimal install.  Not
tested kickstart yet as I was going to build up a Spacewalk server on CentOS6
first, but I assume that'll all be fine too.

No complaints here with their decision to trim the text mode installer.

jh