[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 12:26:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 01:51:21PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Dear Giles,
>
> On Monday, July 11, 2011 you wrote:
>
> >> So first daft question with Centos 6 (someone had to be first!) I've setup
> >> Centos 6 as a Server but as with Centos 5 it used to boot into the GUI but
> >> v6 doesn't do this, startx etc doesn't seem to work to launch the GUI
>
> > perhaps::
> > yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>
> There is no "GNOME Desktop Environment" group. Check with yum
> grouplist and you will see. And even installing "KDE Desktop" won't
> help, because it is not starting automatically. And then, we don't
> have runlevels any more, this means a little bit more looking into
> details is required.

As RH has always been overly (IMHO) Gnome-centric, I believe that
"Desktop Platform, or even basic desktop, will give you Gnome.  (Desktop
or, using the shortname, which in this case, is actually longer,
@basic-desktop).

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles:  Demons after money.  Whatever happened to the still-beating
heart of a virgin?  No one has any standards anymore.