[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jul 12 14:03:40 UTC 2011

On Monday, July 11, 2011 07:56:53 PM William Warren wrote:
> On 7/11/2011 10:43 AM, Keith Beeby wrote:
> > So first daft question with Centos 6 (someone had to be first!) I've setup Centos 6 as a Server but as with Centos 5 it used to boot into the GUI but v6 doesn't do this, startx etc doesn't seem to work to launch the GUI

> > Any suggestions on how I can get this to work?

> install webmin or something.  why load the machine down with x..:)

Trying not to be rude, but....

If a server is 'loaded' by having X running, either the server is too weak or it's lightly loaded.  X's percentage of load on a heavily loaded modernish server is likely to be very low.

But that's something to take up with upstream, not with CentOS, since CentOS is just simply going to be 100% binary compatible with upstream.

This is something that should have been brought up during upstream's beta cycle (which started a long time ago); Karanbir for one specifically asked the list to test the upstream beta and file reports on it to help with what C6 was going to look like.  But reading how some of these changes have taken folks by surprise shows that they didn't test the upstream beta as requested.  Discussion was all over upstream's EL6 beta list, and it got rather interesting at times.

Likewise, it's common knowledge that tracking Fedora is one of the better ways to see what's coming down the 'pike for EL; EL5 being based roughly on Fedora 6 or so, and now EL6 being based roughly on Fedora 12/13 or so, should tell you what to expect (the differences between FC6 and F12 are rather huge).

Again, I'm trying my hardest to not be rude about this, but it's not like the featureset of EL6 came about in a vacuum or something.