[CentOS] Repositories for CentOS 6

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jul 12 14:26:31 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 09:46:21 AM John R. Dennison wrote:
> They will still end up here and on IRC wondering why their system is
> broken at some point.

Indeed.  If history is any indicator, even changes in the base repos will do the same.  (recent history, even, like as in less than an hour ago.....)

> The wiki is populated with repos that should be
> flagged as "This repo will cause tears of impotent rage" or just
> removed.

Which reminds me of a question.... but which I'll ask privately.

> > And, yeah, I'm probably capable of
> > rolling that myself, if need be, for my own private use.
>
> You're capable of supporting your own boxes :)

Well, to a point I could support them myself.  It is in fact easier to roll a package set than it is to support said package set (which is why it would be for my private use, as I'm not willing at this juncture to both roll a package set *and* go back into the package set support business; been there, done that, got the bruises to show for it).  It would be an opportunity to learn more about KDE, though.  Perhaps more than I want to know.

> They'll still end up in #centos if history is any past indicator.

Yep.

> But I'd really be happy to not see them recommended here unless the
> person making the recommendation takes ownership of all support issues
> that the user has from said recommendation.  That seems fair :)

More than fair.  And that would be something I'd be willing to do if I do find someone else's repo that does modern KDE; if I don't have to spend the time to roll the package set, leaves more time to help support said package set.