[CentOS] Problem with net-install

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Jul 12 16:13:20 UTC 2011

On 7/12/2011 9:31 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> That being said, I never said it will not run on older hardware, just
> that they (most developers of most packages) don't care that much
> about older hardware, and my reply was aimed at gradual disappearance
> of CD medium from more and more distro's. Reply could be "take DVD
> drive from somewhere and hook it up instead of CD drive, then return
> it when you finish. Ljubomir

I suppose the Proliant users could be mad at HP for being old school
with only CD-Roms in even their G4 servers. (and no, these 2U servers
can't hold a standard DVD drive as the space if very low profile) But
I'm rarely mad at the Proliant line of servers. I suppose as these are
'servers', they don't really need any DVD drive, except to answer to the
packaging of OS softwares (and they normally go with 'known good
hardware' over new stuff). I wouldn't consider G4s old and slow... 8
gigs of ram and a dual 3.6g xeon processors isn't all that slow or
shabby. For a webserver, it is downright spunky! And, as PHP is so dead
in 5, we must move on to 6. I will find a way to install this on these
Proliants, but shame on Redhat for not doing CDs. Kudos to CentOS for
helping our community with an upcoming CD solutions! In the meantime,
I'll get around to experimenting and report any successes here.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502