[CentOS] EL4 and spamassassin info

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 18:48:18 UTC 2011

On 12/07/11 15:56, R - elists wrote:

> greetings,
>
> have been google foo for week or so.
>
> used to be super easy to upgrade spamassassin on CentOS dist.
>
> just grab the tarball and put in right spot and
>
> rpmbuild -tb spamassassin-3.somethingsomething.tar.gz
>
> then rpm or yum install and done
>
> would take just a few minutes.
>
> Yet...
>
> in regards to EL4 / CentOS 4 and spamassassin, it appears the end of the
> road for .spec in SA tarball
>
> evidentally some admins had a hard time doing the above for some perl
> issues.
>
> we havent had urgent need to upgrade one of our legacy mail servers that is
> still on 4.
>
> that will change of course with Centos6 out now.
>
> this is, did anyone roll a spamassassin 3.3.2 for CentOS4 / EL4 yet?
>
> tips or share rpms please?
>
>   - rh

Warren Togami has already replied to you on the SpamAssassin mailing
lists. Spamassassin 3.3.2 is not supported on EL4 as it requires a newer
version of Perl than that in EL4. BTW, Warren is the current Red Hat
maintainer of the SpamAssassin package in RHEL. It is very unlikely
anyone is going to spend any effort trying to solve that particular
problem given EL4 has only around 6 months until EOL.

As already suggested, start planning your update to either el5 or el6
which are fully supported until 2014 and 2017, respectively.