[CentOS] CentOS 6 DVD install "Unable to read group information from repositories"

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Jul 13 06:26:50 UTC 2011

Trey Dockendorf wrote:
> Tried my first CentOS 6 install on a system currently running 5.6.  My
> attempt was not an upgrade, but a full re-format.  I have verified the
> checksums of the ISO and did the pre-install disk verify and everything
> checked out.  However after the screen for setting up the bootloader I
> get the following error
>
> "Unable to read group information from repositories.  This is a problem
> with the generation of your install tree"
>
> With my only options being "Exit Install" and "Retry", but of course
> "Retry" continues to fail with the same message.
>
> Basically I chose the first option in the menu for the DVD, install /
> upgrade, went through all the settings, did a custom layout for
> partitioning.  I basically told the installer to re-format my ext3
> partitions to ext4 and set the mount points for / , /boot and swap.
>  Then after selecting "Next" from the bootloader configuration is when I
> get the above error.

1. Was this i386 or x86_64?
2. Have you run Media test od DVD('s) in system in question? Maybe DVD
drive can not read them right. Especially if you used higher speed to
burn the disk. I would recommend slow burning like 4x when you burn OS
DVD's (and 16x for CD's).

And have you by any chance tried the same DVD('s) on any other system?

Ljubomir