[CentOS] centos 64 bit

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Jul 13 07:00:48 UTC 2011

Edo wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Nguyen Vu Hung (VNC) wrote:
>
>>  Hello all,
>>
>>  I am running CentOS 5.6 64 bit.
>>
>>  When running "yum -y install ncurses-devel",
>>  I expect that only ncurses 64 bit version will be installed.
>
> Try: yum -y install ncurses-devel.x86_64
>
> Or, add “exclude=*.i?86” in your /etc/yum.conf before running the same command you did earlier.
>
> HTH,

RHEL/CentOS always installs both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries, that is
the way Red Hat wanted it, so Applications designed only as 32-bit can
run without any modification on 64-bit system. If you check other
packages, you will see many have 32-bit counterparts.

This is normal behavior without any repercussions, so unless you intend
to remove all 32-bit libraries from your system, I recommend to go ahead
and install both 32-bit and 64-bit packages.

Ljubomir