[CentOS] Installing from CD

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Wed Jul 13 15:19:08 UTC 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 9:49 PM, Ron Blizzard wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 13:44 -0700, david wrote:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> The machine I'm trying to load does not have a DVD reader, but only a
>>> CD reader.
>>>
>>> Are the multiple CD images of CENTOS 6 available somewhere?  Earlier
>>> versions had them.
>> ----
>> ubuntu LTS
>>
>> installs from a single CD
>>
>> allows you to partition prior to install
>>
>> Just sayin'
>
> But soon you won't have to compromise. Reportedly a Live CentOS CD is
> on the way and it will also allow installation. The best of both
> worlds.
----
ignoring of course:

- live CD's are really slow to boot and the 'transfer' of the live image will consume a lot of install time

- you get no choice/options of partitioning

- you get a fully bloated installation when completed

a 'server install CD' could solve much of this but it would take a different version of anaconda to be able to do on the fly partitioning.

Craig