[CentOS] CentOS 6 system-config-bind missing?

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Wed Jul 13 16:23:51 UTC 2011

On 07/12/2011 08:46 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/12/11 8:19 PM, Emmett Culley wrote:
>> It is NOT trivial to create and manage DNS records with a text editor.
>
> yes it is.

No, it isn't.  At least it isn't trivial for those of us that only occasionally need to modify their DNS server(s).  I had a few gripes about system-config-bind, but on the whole it did make it easy for me to manage our DNS servers without having to study the docs each time I needed to make a change.

Now I suppose my only choice is to install webmin, or compile system-config-bind from source.

I cannot understand the reasoning behind dropping system-config-bind from CentOS/RHEL 6.  Then leaving it in Fedora.  Since when is less tools better?  Especially since there doesn't seem to be a reasonable replacement for this useful tool.

Emmett