[CentOS] PackageKit via ssh

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Wed Jul 13 16:55:11 UTC 2011

Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 05:00 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to use gnome PackageKit (gpk-application) on a centos 6
>> x86_64 system.
>> When I am sitting at the machine it works ok, but most of the time I am
>> accessing that C6 system via ssh from my centos 5 desktop. In this
>> scenario gpk-application starts ok, lists packages, resolves deps,
>> etc... but then it doesn't pop up the box asking for the root password,
>> and aborts with a message "Failed to obtain authentication".
>> I know I can use yum, but occasionally I like using a GUI to browse
>> through available packages.
>>
>> Is there any way to use PackageKit remotely via ssh?
>>

> pkcon is what you need
>
> $ man pkcon

man pkcon is terse to say the least, it basically says:
"The programs are documented fully on http://www.packagekit.org"

But http://www.packagekit.org barely contains any documentation.

In any case, pkcon is CLI and doesn't seem to bring much over yum. What
I would like is to run a GUI such as gpk-application (the gnome
PackageKit GUI) remotely, via ssh. For some use cases, I find a GUI is
quite useful for browsing and searching available packages etc...
It mostly works except I can't authenticate as root when needed, so
saerching for packages, solving deps etc is OK but installing or
removing packages fails.
So: sorry if my question wasn't precise enough, what I really wanted to
ask was: is there a way tu use a PackageKit GUI remotely via ssh?