[CentOS] CentOS 6 system-config-bind missing?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 18:36:12 UTC 2011

On 7/13/2011 1:03 PM, R P Herrold wrote:

> I promised I would not get drawn into this thread, but ...
>
> This thread and its description of the experience gap is
> telling ... One camp wants a 'black box' tool that does
> _something_, so they can ignore what is happening 'under the
> covers' and move on to more interesting uses of the computer.
> And then there are the professionals.   And this _is_ billed
> as a boring, trailing edge and stable, enterprise operating
> system, after all
>
> But my use cases are related to a prodduction environment,
> maintaining several hundred zone files, with lots of adds,
> changes, and deletes.  The s-c-bind GUI tool was useless,
> compared to TUI edits (certain legacy systems) and scripts to
> do the backups, accuracy audit, and creation of all files
> including the PTR record files

So, aren't computer programs supposed to be able to deal with
complicated cases, or just not free computer programs?  Or is the input
syntax just too weird?  While s-c-bind may not have been the right
answer, it just seems odd as a missing piece in the distribution and
epel-provided packages.  Almost as odd as not having a network-aware
authentication mechanism working as a server out of the box on your
initial install - as though it would be unusual to have more than one
computer and want those initial users to be able to log into the others
you'd add later.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com