[CentOS] CentOS 6 system-config-bind missing?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jul 13 19:43:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

> around.  Russ may be of the opinion that everyone should memorize
> bazillion-page books of details about each quirky service or hire

dunno that those are my words at all

The issue was DNS zone files

One takes a template, and in the residential user case, edits
perhaps 5 lines, consisting of A and CNAME records for a
residential network for the 'forward' zonefiles ... or uses
'h2n' that takes as its input a file that looks like
/etc/hosts

s-c-bind may have met the need or it may not have, but it was
not worth learning to me, after a brief examination, because
it provided no gain over incumbent tools to me to make it
worth going down its learning curve.  The s-c-kickstart-config
(or whatever it was named) tool is in that same boat

The one off domain case is just not that hard

The commercial case with hundred of complex entries is not the
same scale problem, and to hope for a common tool need not be
a dream -- but, the overhead of setting up a scalable keyed
DNS management tool, is not worth the effort cost to a
residential user and I suspect not worth the support load it
would cost the upstream on what is an essentially bespoke
solution

-- Russ herrold