[CentOS] C6: Suspend on laptop close doesn't work

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Wed Jul 13 20:36:41 UTC 2011

On 07/13/2011 09:23 AM Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 03:17 PM, Silviu Adrian Joian wrote:
>> Probably the video driver is not working as it should, I have the same
>> problem after installing the vendors proprietary drivers on my laptop.
>
> It's standard Intel graphics on my laptop, no proprietary drivers.
>
> Mogens

Yes, in fact you already said in your OP that suspend works from the
menu, so obviously the problem's not with the driver.

I had this same problem years ago and there was an easy fix.  It was so
long ago and the solution came to me so quickly, that today I can't
remember exactly what I did.  Generally though, I used some utility or
application which binds a key to an action.  To designate the key, I
just had to press that key.  (In linux, everything on the keyboard is a
key, even the little stem that normally would hit the switch and invoke
suspend.  It's a key in the same way that 'a' and '$' are keys.)  So
after designating the key-- by pressing it-- I entered the command for
suspend (which I had to search down).

Try looking at Foot -> System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts (in
Gnome).  There's a "Sleep" item there that maybe can be configured to
fix the problem.

hth,
ken

--
"When a society comes together and makes decisions in harmony,
when it respects its most noble traditions, cares for its most