[CentOS] Chroot issue with username to uid

Trey Dockendorf

treydock at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:43:46 UTC 2011

I'm setting up a chroot environment on a shared web server to allow users to
modify their web roots within a secure chroot, but am having a problem.
 Right now when I log in with test accounts I get this...

Last login: Thu Jul 14 09:04:14 2011 from ....
id: cannot find name for group ID 507
id: cannot find name for user ID 506
[I have no name!@webserver ~]$

I've verified that the UID / GIDs are correct in the chroot's /etc/passwd.
 Is there possibly something I may have not put in the chroot that is needed
for id->name mapping?

Here's how I setup the chroot...I'll provide a full write up once I get this
last issue fixed...

cd /home/
mkdir chroot
cd chroot/
groupadd chrootusers
useradd treydock
usermod -a -G chrootusers treydock

mkdir -p ./{dev,etc,lib,lib64,usr,bin,home}
mkdir -p ./usr/{bin,libexec}
mkdir -p usr/libexec/openssh
mknod -m 666 dev/null c 1 3

cp -R /etc/skel home/treydock
chown -R treydock:treydock /home/chroot/home/treydock

cp /etc/ld.so.cache /home/chroot/etc/
cp /etc/ld.so.conf /home/chroot/etc/
cp -R /etc/ld.so.conf.d /home/chroot/etc/
cp /etc/nsswitch.conf /home/chroot/etc/
cp /etc/hosts /home/chroot/etc/
cp /etc/passwd /home/chroot/etc/
cp /etc/group /home/chroot/etc/
cp /etc/resolv.conf /home/chroot/etc/
cp /etc/bashrc /home/chroot/etc/

cp /bin/vi /home/chroot/bin/
cp /bin/ls /home/chroot/bin/
cp /bin/cat /bin/cp /bin/grep /bin/mkdir /bin/mv /bin/rm /bin/rmdir
/bin/bash /home/chroot/bin/

cp /usr/bin/scp /home/chroot/usr/bin/
cp /usr/bin/sftp /home/chroot/usr/bin/
cp /usr/bin/ssh /home/chroot/usr/bin/
cp /usr/bin/vim /home/chroot/usr/bin/
cp /usr/bin/id /home/chroot/usr/bin/

cp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server /home/chroot/usr/libexec/openssh/

cd /usr/local/sbin/
wget -O l2chroot http://www.cyberciti.biz/files/lighttpd/l2chroot.txt
chmod +x l2chroot
vim l2chroot

for i in `ls /home/chroot/bin/`; do l2chroot /bin/$i; done
for i in `ls /home/chroot/usr/bin/`; do l2chroot /usr/bin/$i; done
l2chroot /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

vim /etc/ssh/sshd_config
/etc/init.d/sshd restart

Here is an example of what is in both my system and chroot /etc/passwd

treydock:x:506:507:Trey Dockendorf:/home/treydock:/bin/bash

Thanks
- Trey