[CentOS] Burning DVDs

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jul 14 23:53:49 UTC 2011

On 07/14/11 8:26 AM, Devin Reade wrote:
> I have had much better luck with DVD data portability if I always
> burn DVDs at 1x (or as close to it as the DVD firmware will allow),
> particularly when it comes to burning on one system and reading on
> another.

with newer hardware, decent quality blank media, and current generation
'16X' and '20X' burners, I find burning DVDs at 8X, which is the max CLV
speed, gives me a very high level of player compatibility.   Better yet,
it doesn't take hardly any longer than the 'full speed' burn.   faster
than 8X, the drives use CAV mode where the burn speed goes up on the
outer part of the disk, which makes the last 20 or 25% of a full disk
much more prone to errors.

btw, I've found current generation Samsung fullsized SATA & ATAPI(IDE)
burners to be very reliable and highly compatible with a wide range of
playback gear.