[CentOS] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! after installation of Driver Diskette for enabling Onboard RAID Controller Chipset

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Jul 15 06:17:08 UTC 2011

On 07/14/11 10:56 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I have HP DL 180 G6 2U Rack Server with HP Smart Array Controller Card
> B110i Onboard SATA Controller Chipset. This server has 4 * 500 GB SATA
> HDD have configured RAID 1+0 and it shows Single Logical Drive of 940
> GB Hard Disk in the RAID BIOS.

the SmartArray 110i is simply Intel "Matrix" fake raid.  The hardware is
purely basic plain SATA JBOD, but the BIOS and driver implement the raid
behind the systems back.

Configure the BIOS for AHCI native SATA, and use linux native raid.  See
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5?highlight=%28RAID%29