[CentOS] problems with burning i386 centos 6 dvd

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Jul 15 16:50:42 UTC 2011

On Thursday, July 14, 2011 07:45:56 PM John R Pierce wrote:
>  DVD-R has slightly more capacity which is important
> here.   I think the differennce in reliability is a red herring.

There is a difference in the technology used for burning, and I've seen where DVD- burning did not work but DVD+ did in the same burner (I've also seen the opposite, and I've seen DVD burners that wouldn't burn or read CD's, too (optical issues with the laser's focus, since a DVD's depth of focus is shorter than a CD's)).

And I'm not talking subtle errors, here, but whole files that are corrupted in massive ways.  Apparently the DVD- code path in that burner's firmware interacts in a bad way with the DVD- code paths in wodim/growisofs where the DVD+ code paths in both the burner's firmware and in wodim/growisofs did not have the problem.

(That's just a kind way of saying that the combination of the wodim DVD- code and the burner's DVD- code is buggy; neither is buggy by itself, but the combination is.)

The same code with a different machine and different burner works fine.