[CentOS] CentOS-6 dhcpd

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Fri Jul 15 16:59:18 UTC 2011

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've installed CentOS-6 on my server
> (in parallel to CentOS-5.6)
> and now I'm trying to set up dhcpd.
>
> I'm not sure if there has been a change in dhcpd
> under CentOS-6, but I'm getting the dreaded message
> "Not configured to listen on any interfaces!"
> when I "sudo service dhcpd restart".
>
> I realise now that I have never known
> how the connection between interface (eth0 and eth1, in my case)
> and network (192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0, in my case)
> is established.
>
> I have DHCPDARGS=eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd
> but evidently I need to say something more somewhere.
>
> Can one actually specify the interface in /etc/dhcpd.conf
> and if so how?
>
> Any suggestions or enlightenment gratefully received.

I can not say about DHCPd in CentOS with certainty, but it should be ISC
DHCP, and ISC DHCP on my routers has following syntax for subnet:

subnet 192.168.219.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

    range 192.168.219.170 192.168.219.199;

    option routers 192.168.219.100;

and there is no mention of interfaces, just their IP's, and you can only
  set DHCP service on the first IP on the interface.

This is on my router, but should be true for all ISC DHCP servers.

Ljubomir