[CentOS] About I386 not fitting on one DVD

david david at daku.org
Sun Jul 17 15:27:13 UTC 2011

At 10:31 PM 7/16/2011, you wrote:
>On 07/16/11 7:50 PM, david wrote:
> > If the I386 (or i686, never could figure out why the name change)
>
>I386 was the original 386 CPU, which ran at speeds from 16 to 33Mhz
>i486 includes a few additional instructions on the 486 processor, and
>IIRC, ran at speeds from 25 to 100Mhz
>i586 is the original pentium, at 60, 66, 90, 100 up to about 133Mhz
>i686 is the pentium pro and pentium-II, -III, -IV and everything newer.
>
>i686 added a few minor new instructions but also has additional memory
>management functionality missing from the earlier versions.
>
>its just gotten silly to try and keep backwards support for the early
>versions of the CPUs that have been obsolete for so long.
>
>really, we should have compiler targets for optimizing on the P4
>'netburst' CPUs and another for the core processors as they are all
>pipelined differently.   as it turns out, however, the core 2 and core
>I3/5/7 do pretty well with pentium-II and -III style optimization
>strategies, as well as, of course, the x86_64 support.
>

>--
>john r pierce                            N 37, W 122
>santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast

Folks
My initial post was perhaps mis-stated.  I don't have any problem
with dropping processors before the Pentium class machines (aka
I686), my question was only a naming question.

Why are some RPMs named  el6.i386, and some with el6.i686.  It must
make automated package selection algorithms more difficult.

David