[CentOS] issues when add driverdisk to centos5.6 using NFS method

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun Jul 17 17:49:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011, 郑栋辉 wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: 郑栋辉 <zhdhui at gmail.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] issues when add driverdisk to centos5.6 using NFS method
>
> Hi, I am Ken.. I am trying to add dud(driver update disk) to centos5.6
> using network method, I can successfully add dud to centos5.6 using
> http and ftp method, but fail when using nfs method. However those all
> three methods are officially supported in the centos5.6.
>
> As indicated in the centos5.6 website, we can see they not only
> support http, ftp, but also nfs.
> http://centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-options.html
> driverdisk (optional)
>    Driver diskettes can be used during kickstart installations. You
> must copy the driver diskettes's contents to the root directory of a
> partition on the system's hard drive. Then you must use the driverdisk
> command to tell the installation program where to look for the driver
> disk.
>
>    driverdisk <partition> [--type=<fstype>]
>
>    Alternatively, a network location can be specified for the driver diskette:
>
>    driverdisk --source=ftp://path/to/dd.img
>    driverdisk --source=http://path/to/dd.img
>    driverdisk --source=nfs:host:/path/to/img
>
>        *
>          <partition> Partition containing the driver disk.
>        *
>          --type= File system type (for example, vfat or ext2).
> In my experiment, I make my dud address in the kickstart file like below:
>
> driverdisk --source=nfs:9.122.90.239:/deployment/dud-2.6.18-128-64.centos.iso
>
> but it fails to load the dud when centos begin to install.
>
> do you have any suggestion to me? Thanks

Hello Ken.

I don't use NFS, can you actually reach your NFS machine
from another machine on your LAN to get some sort of file
listings from it, like an apache directory listing? This
would tell you that the machine is actually reachable.

As with any network problems, I would recommend installing
Wireshark on both machines you want to be able to talk to
each other via your LAN. You can then run Wireshark on both
machines and get a realtime diagnosis of what's happening on
each network interface, complete with any error messages.

Much better than trying to 'pin the tail on the donkey
blindfolded' so to speak, which I consider diagnosing
network problems can be compared to, without being able
to actually see the packets flowing between the two networks
with some sort of diagnostics software.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

> --
> BEST WISHES!
> 郑栋辉
> Zheng donghui
> Dept.of Computer Science & Engineering, Shanghai Jiaotong University
> Tel: (+86)  1356-418-5078
> Email: zhdhui at gmail.com
> MSN: zhdhui at gmail.com

Websites: