[CentOS] Upgrade from CentOS 5.4 to 5.6 -> 6.0

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sun Jul 17 18:06:20 UTC 2011

On 07/17/2011 01:59 PM, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running 5.4
>
> After running
>
> sudo yum clean all
> sudo yum update
>
> We got it upgraded to 5.6
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
>
> So, how can I get it my CentOS from 5.6 to 6.0?
>
> [vuhung at -08 ~]$ sudo yum update
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
>  * base: mirror.vietoss.com
>  * extras: mirror.vietoss.com
>  * updates: mirror.vietoss.com
> Setting up Update Process
> No Packages marked for Update
>

> TIA,
>
> Vu Hung

As far as I know, upgrading between major EL versions is not supported.
A full re-install is recommended.

If you wish to try anyway, you will probably need to change the repos to
point to the EL6 repos instead of the EL5 repos.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"