[CentOS] SPAM on the List

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:49:24 UTC 2011

On 7/17/11 10:26 PM, Always Learning wrote:

> Sorry if I seem thick but I am having problems understanding why, with
> the use of NAT, the HELO/EHLO and their external IP address can not
> match.

I suppose it is not impossible if you force a 1 to 1 correspondence.

> Also what influences does scaling have on the ability of sending
> mail servers (MTAs) to operate with host names that match their IP
> addresses ?

NATs are often pools of addresses, often managed by different groups than the
host services, and sometimes used in sets with different address mappings to
allow load balancing and failover across multiple isp connections. If mail is
your only service, you might give all of those addresses the reverse DNS name
that matches your HELO name, but most places would probably just do what the
standards require.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com