[CentOS] [SOLVED] CUPS LAN printing problem (from Vista)

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Jul 18 19:59:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Keith Roberts wrote:

> From: Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CUPS LAN printing problem (from Vista)
>
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us
>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CUPS LAN printing problem (from Vista)
>>
>> Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> I have my main machine running Centos 5.6, and it has a HP
>>> Deskjet 810c printer physically attached to it. CUPSD
>>> broadcasts in on my LAN as the default printer. I can print
>>> to the default HP printer over the LAN, from a laptop
>>> running Centos 5.6.
>>>
>>> However, I do have problems trying to print to this
>>> same printer over the LAN, from a laptop running
>>> M$ Vista.
>>>
>>> Has anyone been able to print from a machine running M$
>>> Windoze Vista to their CUPS LAN printer running on Centos
>>> 5.x please. All I need to know is yes, this works, or no
>>> it's not possible.
>> <snip>
>> Dunno 'bout 5.6, but 5.4, 5.5, sure. We had people doing that.
>
> Thanks Mark - that's all I need to know.
>
> If it works for 5.4/5 there's not reason for it not to work
> on 5.6
>
> Now I know it's possible to do, I will spend time on reading
> the documentation and seeking a solution myself.
>
> I'm not looking to be spoon fed three times daily - LOL!

OK, thanks again for confirming that Mark. I have it working
now fine. Here are the notes I've made for the next time I
have to reinstall Windoze Bista.

Install Wireshark, and then install the HP Deskjet 810c
Inkjet printer driver. (Use the 812c - it's close enough)

Notes for setting up CUPS HP Deskjet 810c printer
to be able to print across LAN from Vista Home.

Install the printer following this guide:

http://www.divms.uiowa.edu/help/windows/printers_vista/

Using Wireshark Network Analyser I got the following error under
the IPP menu when trying to print a test document:

Status-code: client-error-document-format-not-supported

Googling for that returned the following forum article:

http://mindspill.net/computing/cross-platform-notes/cups-client-error-document-format-not-supported.html

Following the above article and making the suggested changes
fixed the printing from Vista to Centos 5.6 CUPS problem:

The problem

Printing fails from Windows, with the following message in
/var/log/cups/access_log (on the linux box):

Print-Job client-error-document-format-not-supported

The solution ?

Make sure you've enabled support for Windows PCL drivers.

Uncomment application/octet-stream in /etc/cups/mime.types
and uncomment application/octet-stream in /etc/cups/mime.convs.

I made those changes, actually created a local.types and local.convs file
in /etc/cups/ and stopped and restarted the cups server.

Restarting the print job under Vista, and the printer responded
immediately. The Status-code in Wireshark has now changed to
"succesful-ok"

I got a Windows Printer Test Page with details of the printer
setup, and Additional files used by this driver."

So that's it fixed now.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: