[CentOS] CentOS 6 PXE boot:Unable to download the kickstart file

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jul 20 15:02:34 UTC 2011

Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
> We have CentOS 6 manual installation working by PXE booting from a RHEL5.6
> PXE/TFTP server.  However, when we add a Kickstart file in the PXE
> configuration:
>
>     kernel CentOS-6-i386/vmlinuz
>     append load_ramdisk=1 initrd=CentOS-6-i386/initrd.img network
> ks=nfs:130.226.86.4:/u/rpm/kickstart/ks-centos-6-clean-i386.cfg
>
> then the CentOS 6 client install reports "Unable to download the kickstart
> file".
> The console 3 reports "failed to mount nfs source".
> We believe the NFS server is OK because we can install CentOS5 clients in
> this way.
<snip>
> However, on the centos list I see some people who apparently go Kickstart
> to work with CentOS 6 - but how did they do it?
>
> Question: What special configuration is required for either 1) PXE or
> 2) the DHCP server?

I just cloned the 5.6 install, and it worked.

Well, kinda. You may have seen, or missed, the thread a couple weeks ago,
about this: we do have a local repository, and comps.xml was missing.
Then, having now switched to my new workstation, I found that window
manager names changes (like KDE and Gnome), so they weren't installed, and
for some reason, xorg was not a prerequisite. OO.o, btw, has had a group
name change as well.

          mark, working his way through