[CentOS] CentOS 6 PXE boot: Unable to download the kickstart file

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Jul 20 19:49:28 UTC 2011

Patrick Lists wrote:
>>> I fail to see how your repository problem is related to my Kickstart PXE/NFS
>>> problem.  We can install CentOS 6 (no Kickstart) without problems using PXE.
>>> It's the NFS-mounting of the Kickstart-file which fails.  What I'd love to learn
>>> is how others have made NFS/Kickstart work...
>>
>> Is CentOS 6 assuming NFSv4 by default perhaps?
>
> According to the RHEL 6.0 Release Notes it is:
>
> "Mounting a file system via NFS now defaults to NFSv4."

Yes, this sounds like the correct explanation!  Our RHEL5.6 PXE/TFTP/NFS
server is certainly configured for NFSv3.  I haven't explored the NFSv4
approach though.

How can we tweak the CentOS6 Kickstart installation to explicitly
request an NFSv3 service in the PXE config file:

     kernel CentOS-6-i386/vmlinuz
     append load_ramdisk=1 initrd=CentOS-6-i386/initrd.img network
ks=nfs:130.226.86.4:/u/rpm/kickstart/ks-centos-6-clean-i386.cfg

To rephrase my question: Where do we find documentation for the vmlinuz
append flags shown above, in particular documentation of the ks=... flags?

Hopefully there'll be some way to force an NFSv3 mount in stead of the
default NFSv4?  Or perhaps we need to use http: and stop using nfs: with
CentOS6?

Thanks,
Ole