[CentOS] There is no One True Solution

Devin Reade

gdr at gno.org
Thu Jul 21 16:07:12 UTC 2011

Folks, in many recent threads this pattern has been happening:

   OP:           Any suggestions on how to do <something>?
   Responder 1:  Look at <solution1>.
   Responder 2:  Look at <solution2>.
   Responder 3:  Look at <solution3>.
   Responder 4:  It doesn't work for me / I don't like that / it's a
                 stupid solution / etc

   <conversation degenerates and/or flamewar ensues>

There's nothing wrong with comparing / contrasting different solutions,
but can we please try to remember that every circumstance is different
and that just because someone suggests a solution it doesn't mean
that it's the best for everyone?  Ultimately, only the OP will be
able to figure out what works best for him but having alternatives
can help him get there.

IMNSHO we, as professionals, should have lots of tools in our toolboxes,
understand their pros and cons, not only in isolation but as they
would apply in the different environments in which we find ourselves.

If you have observations about a solution based on experience by
all means share them (but please qualify the circumstances in which
they apply).  If you don't, file the solution away in your meatware
for future reference.

But if you hear about a solution and it doesn't seem like a good fit
for your particular circumstances, and you're not the OP, can we
please stop hearing the "but it doesn't work for *me* in these
slightly different circumstances" comments?

Devin