[CentOS] centos6 not using /etc/gdm/custom.conf

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 21:19:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 02:17:28PM -0400, Jamieson, Stephen CTR Navair,
>> 5.4.4.4 wrote:
>>
>>> In CentOS5 you were able to create a server section in
>>> /etc/gdm/custom.conf such as
>>
>> In later Fedora releases, GDM has become less and less functional:
>> configurability has been removed, more so as releases occur. From my
>> (known to be flaky) memory, that includes the ability to turn off the
>> silly list that exposes usernames right on the login screen, the ability
>
> And that makes it inappropriate for US gov't work (violates official std),
> and actually anywhere that you have a concern about security.

It's pretty weird that RH didn't change the GNOME upstream default of
exposing the usernames. I presume that RH doesn't care about the
desktop enough in an enterprise setting. It's easy enough to change
with a gconftool-2 invocation but "even" Apple allows its users to
switch from a "click on an icon/name" login to a "type your name"
login within the OS X GUI. The GNOME developers' choices are difficult
to understand, IMHO.