[CentOS] problem starting X11 on centos 6

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Fri Jul 22 12:50:53 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I had an issue. Manually installing Centos 6 everything worked X11 came
up with nvidia binary drivers. Cool.
However, I am working on a kickstart install for Centos 6 and that was
not working. When I started X it
would hang. no mouse no keyboard. however , remote ssh was available and
worked.

Thinking I had some serious bug in nvidia binary was my thought - but I
kept looking.
I saw this error:

(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: unknown error (null)

in the X log file.

I continued to look and sure enough hald was installed but not running.
I did service  haldaemon stop and it said FAILED as expected, then
service haldaemon start
and it started up. Curious....

chkconfig --list | grep hal reports
haldaemon       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

So thats the reason of course, it was not set to start. Question is why????

certainly I can put in my kickstart post script to change chkconfig
but why is it not set to start????

Thanks for any insite.

Jerry