[CentOS] package recommendation for video conferencing

Patrick Lists centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 22 14:05:04 UTC 2011

On 07/22/2011 03:02 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 7/22/11 2:19 AM, Geoff Galitz wrote:
>> Hi.
>> We have a need for a video conferencing package with the following specs:
>> - cross platform client support (Linux, Mac, Win)
>> - server side runs on Centos 5 and later with easy package installation routine
>> (e.g. RPM)
>> - can host a teleconfernce with no users connected (IOW, it can wait for users
>> to connect at any time)
>> - supports mulitple users per video conference
>> Recommendations?
>
> Don't think this one has group video conferencing yet, but it might be close:
> http://www.jitsi.org/

For a WebEx-like environment check out BigBlueButton (not easy to
install though). Or use Gtalk which supports video and does not require
you to host a server.

Hosting a teleconference (not sure about support for video) is supported
by FreeSWITCH (for small to large environments) and Asterisk (would not
bet the farm on this for large environments).

Regards,
Patrick